RangeelaLast Updated : 07-01-2010Category : Movies > HindiYear : 1995
Rangeela – Details
Rangeela (Hindi: रंगीला) is a 1995 Hindi-language movie, a product of the Bollywood film industry. It was directed by Ram Gopal Varma, and starred Jackie Shroff, Aamir Khan and Urmila Matondkar. The film saw Urmila rising to fame overnight and Jackie Shroff getting a lot of appreciation for his acting. But it was Aamir Khan who delivered one of the finest performances in the history of Indian Cinema in a role of a Tapori[Streetboy] and a lover who is not able to express his feelings to his beloved until the climax. It is one of the few Ram Gopal Varma films, along with Mast, which is less serious. The director has been often noted for his serious movies such as Sarkar, Sarkar Raj, Satya, Rann, etc. Rangeela, however, has a romantic backdrop to it.
Rangeela saw music director A. R. Rahman's first Hindi movie with an original score, as the previous ones were dubbed from his Tamil scores. The soundtrack features playback singer Asha Bhosle, who made a comeback singing Rahman's songs. The Music became popular all across the country.
Rangeela was one of the biggest hits of 1995. It won two Filmfare Awards that year. Best Supporting Actor for Jackie Shroff and Best Music Director for A. R. Rahman.
Rangela – Cast and Crew
- Directed by Ram Gopal Varma
- Produced by P. Som Shekar | Ram Gopal Varma
- Music by A. R. Rahman
Rangela – Trivia
- Rangeela marked the debut of acclaimed Music director A. R. Rahman in Hindi. The audio was released in 8th September 1995 by Rahman's mother Kareema and the soundtrack proved immensely popular upon release. It is listed in almost all lists of best bollywood soundtracks
- In preparation for his role as Munna, Aamir Khan spent a couple of months with local street gangs in Mumbai to learn the way they acted. He also picked up certain slang words which are quite authentic to street gangs in Mumbai, which later transposed into the film.
- Rumor has it that the reason Khan does not attend any Bollywood award function was because he did not win the Filmfare Best Actor award for his role, which went to Shah Rukh Khan that year, despite many critics predicting Aamir Khan to be the winner for his acclaimed acting in the movie. Khan has said that he no longer believes in the authenticity of the award selection process. As with any rumor, this may not have any substantial truth or validity to it.