Dil Se | HindiLast Updated : 07-01-2010Category : Movies > HindiYear : 1998
Dil Se – Details
Dil Se (Hindi: दिल से, translation: From the Heart) is a 1998 Hindi film directed by Mani Ratnam. The film stars Shahrukh Khan, Manisha Koirala, and Preity Zinta. Mani Ratnam also wrote the screenplay for the film. It was produced by Mani Ratnam and Ram Gopal Varma in conjunction with Shekar Kapur.
The film was shot in Kashmir, Assam, Delhi, Kerala and other parts of India and Bhutan over a period of 55 days. Its cinematography won a National Film Award for cinematographer Santosh Sivan. The film's score and soundtrack were composed by A. R. Rahman. A. R. Rahman received a Filmfare Award for the music.
Dil Se was screened at the Era New Horizons Film Festival and the Helsinki International Film Festival. The film went on to win the Netpac Award for Special Mention at the Berlin International Film Festival, two National Film Awards, and six Filmfare Awards. Despite being a box office failure in India, the film was a success overseas, becoming the first Indian film to enter the top 10 in the United Kingdom box office charts.
Chaiyya Chaiyya has become one of the most popular songs in recent years. It was featured as one of the top 10 songs of all-time, in an international poll conducted by BBC World Service. It was also featured in Spike Lee's 2006 film, Inside Man, both in its original form and remixed by Panjabi MC as "Chaiyya Chaiyya Bollywood Joint".
Dil Se – Cast and Crew
- Directed by Mani Ratnam
- Produced by Mani Ratnam | Ram Gopal Varma | Shekhar Kapur
- Written by Tigmanshu Dhulia | Mani Ratnam | Sujatha
- Music by A. R. Rahman
- Cinematography Santosh Sivan
- Editing by Suresh Urs
Dil Se – AwardsThe film has won the following awards since its release:
1999 Berlin International Film Festival (Germany)
National Film Awards (India)
- Won - Silver Lotus Award - Best Cinematography - Santosh Sivan
- Won - Silver Lotus Award - Best Audiography - H. Sridhar
- Won - Best Debut - Preity Zinta
- Won - Best Lyricist - Gulzar
- Won - Best Male Playback - Sukhwinder Singh for "Chaiyya Chaiyya"
- Won - Best Music Director - A. R. Rahman
- Won - Best Choreography - Farah Khan
- Won - Best Cinematographer - Santosh Sivan