Iruvar | TamilLast Updated : 07-01-2010Category : Movies > TamilYear : 1997
Iruvar - Soundtrack
- The film's soundtrack features 6 songs composed by A. R. Rahman, with lyrics by Vairamuthu.
- Most of the songs and the score for the film was composed in pure Carnatic classical music and there was a pure jazz song Vennila Vennila. Viduthalai and Narumugaye are an experiment of multiple genres and same was the case of Hello Mr.Edirkatchi.
- Udal Mannukku and Unnodu Njan Irundha were recitals sung by actor Arvind Swamy.
- Got more info? add comments :)
Iruvar - Tamil – TracklistLyrics : Vairamuthu
- "Kannai Katti" (5:56) – Hariharan
- "Hello Mister Edirkatchi" (4:12) – Harini
- "Narumugaye" (6:20) – Unnikrishnan & Bombay Jayashree
- "Venilla Venilla" (4:59) – Asha Bhosle
- "Ayirathil Naan Oruvan" (5:51) – Mano
- "Poo Kudiyil Punnagai" (5:31) – Sandhya
- Udal mannukku uyir - arvind swami
- Unndodu naan - Speech – arvind swami,Dominic
- GUITAR : VISHWA MOHAN BHATT
- GHATTAM : VIKKU VINAYAGAM
- JAZZ KIT : RANJIT BAROT
- KEYBOARDS : LOY MENDONSA
- SARANGI : SULTAN KHAN
- BONGOS : SIVAMANI
- SAX : JOHN ASTREW (LOS ANGELES)
- HARMONY : GANGA, RENUKA, KANCHANA, CHANDRAN, ANTHO, SRINIVAS, NOEL
- CHILDREN'S CHOIR : SWETHA, SHARADHA, ESTHER
Iruvar - Malayalam Re-dubbed (2004) – TracklistLyrics : Mankombu Gopalakrishnan
- Kannum Ketti Irikkaathe - MG Sreekumar,Chorus
- Hello Mr Ethirkakshi - Rimi Tomy
- Kilimozhiye Kilimozhiye - MG Sreekumar,Ranjini Jose,Mohanlal
- Vennilaa Vennila Vennilaave – Jyotsna
- Aayirathil Njan Oruvan - MG Sreekumar,Prabhakaran
- Poonkodi Than Punchiri - Ranjini Jose
- Udal Manninnu Uyir Tamizhinnu - MG Sreekumar
Iruvar - PhotosMovie Stills >
Iruvar - Details
Iruvar (The Duo) (1997) is a Tamil language Indian film directed and co-written by Mani Ratnam, with music composed by A. R. Rahman. The film is a fictionalized account of the lives of 1980s Tamil Nadu political icons M. G. Ramachandran and M. Karunanidhi, continuing the tryst between Tamil cinema and Dravidian politics.
Mohanlal and Prakash Raj played lead roles in the film. Tabu, Gouthami, Revathi Menon and Nasser star in supporting roles. The film also saw the movie debut of Aishwarya Rai, then merely a model and former beauty queen (as well as an aspiring actress). It was subsequently dubbed in Telugu under the title Iddaru and Malayalam as Iruvar. The cinematography was by Santosh Sivan. Mohanlal and Prakash Raj had stunning and extraordinary performances in this film.
The film was showcased in The Masters section at the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival. The film won the Best Film award at the Belgrade International Film Festival, two National Film Awards, and two Filmfare Awards South.
Iruvar - Criticism
The movie dealt with a very sensitive subject. The two men whose lives have been chronicled enjoy an enormous fan following. The dash and flair and captivating oratorical abilities of M. Karunanidhi has attracted many millions over the 50 years of his political life. M. G. Ramachandran enjoys a semi-divine status in Tamil Nadu with people constructing temples for him. On account of this the movie invited much criticism from both the camps. Moreover the personal lives of the lead characters (their extramarital relations, ego problems) have been portrayed with near accuracy in the film. M. G. Ramachandran is shown as a relentless womanizer who meets his match in the wiles of J Jayalalithaa.
When the movie was released,various political parties staged demonstrations to prevent theaters from showing the movie. Still the movie is regarded as one of Mani Rathnam's best work ever. The movie enjoys enormous fan following among the Tamils in the world and has achieved cult status. DVDs of the movie are continuously in demand as are the soundtrack .
Iruvar - AwardsThe film has won the following awards since its release:
1997 Belgrade International Film Festival
- Won - Best Film of the Festival of the Auteur Films - Iruvar - Mani Ratnam
- Won - Filmfare Best Actor Award (Tamil) - Mohanlal
- Won - Filmfare Best Movie Award (Tamil) - Iruvar